We are all aware of the TV series and recent film “Dad’s Army” but did you know that Ruddington had its own Home Guard unit during the Second World War?
The majority of these defence organisations, that operated between 1940 and 1944 , were based in coastal areas for obvious defence reasons. However, it was deemed that Ruddington warranted one due to the important munitions depot which was based on what is now the Rushcliffe Country Park.
When the RUDD published this photo in 2000 subsequent letters identified several members within our own “Dad’s Army”
James Astle, Jack Baggley, Les Butler, Mr Blood, Mr Bradwell, Mr Buttery, Col Crockford, John Crockford, Arthur Gillespie, Joe Horspool, Horace Marshall, John North, Mr Outlaw, John Parker, Ernest Salton and Bob Sutton.
While Home Guards are well known, after being immortalised in the TV Series, not so well remembered are Invasion Committees. Ruddington had to have one of those as well, due once again to the presence of the munitions depot.
The police sergeant, the Parish Council Chairman, the vicar, Rev Frank Potts and his wife all reported to Captain John Ashworth who was the committee chairman. Part of their role was to store equipment for civilians’ welfare. In June 1942 records show that the list included 19 washing up bowls, 4 tea pots, 4 shoe brushes and polish and 300 aspirins!