The death of Ken Phethean in August brought to an end a family business connection with Ruddington lasting 80 years.
In 1908 Ken’s grandfather, James, opened a chemist’s shop on the High Street. His son Norman, who had for a time had a business in West Bridgford, took over his father’s shop when he retired.
Destined to be a pharmacist Ken studied at Nottingham University but this was interrupted by National Service in the RAF. Ken was finally made a member of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain in 1950 and went to work with his father in 1953.
Norman retired in 1976 and Ken continued the business until 1988 when he too retired, an unbroken line of 80 years during which his family served the Village giving helpful advice to customers suffering from day to day ailments. Many people will remember Ken’s willingness to give advice and reassurance to his customers.
Outside of the business Ken had many interests. He was a member of the Parish Council from 1958 to 1987 and served as its Chairman from 1963 to 1972. He was a keen member of the Ruddington Home Winemakers and Brewers, a supporter of the Parish Church and the Heritage Railway.
He and his wife Kathy, to whom he was married for over 65 years, enjoyed many holidays at their apartment in Spain. To his sons Richard and Guy and daughter Mandi he was a wonderful father and grandfather to his 3 grandchildren. We will not see his like again.
By Peter McGowan