Our records state that the first annual meeting of Ruddington Parish Council was held at the Girls’ Schoolroom on 25th March 1895.
Ruddington Parish Council was founded as a result of the 1894 Local Government Act. This also created Basford Rural District Council. This remained the situation until a further reorganisation created Rushcliffe Borough Council in 1974.
There were just three items on the agenda at the first Ruddington Parish Council meeting, with the James Peacock Bread Charity accounts appearing to cause much discussion before being approved.
The first contentious meeting was held on 2nd December 1896 to protest against the actions of the District Council for passing the proposed sanitary scheme.
Much has changed since those early years of the Parish Council and many current members will no doubt smile at the thought of the original Council holding just two meetings a year!
Councillor Allen Wood